Monday, February 24, 2020

Medallion Quilt


Here is another quilt I had in my guild show last fall. It's a large quilt, about 108" square, so they had to fold the bottom up to hang it.  It was a guild challenge that started in 2018.  The idea was to start with a center medallion, whatever size and colors we wanted, and every month add a border that would be chosen at random by the challenge coordinator.  I usually do fused, machine stitched applique, but decided to do all the applique on this quilt by hand so it would have a softer feel on the finished quilt.  I did vow never to do hand applique again! :)   I was able to complete all the borders as they were announced, but took a long time deciding how to quilt it, and then actually quilting it.  I free motion quilt on a domestic machine, so a lot of 'wrangling' was required.


The guild show is not judged, but does have a viewers' choice award, which I was honored to win.  This is the first quilt I designed myself with no pattern, only following the directive of which type of border to do each month.  Also, I didn't buy any new fabrics, just used what was in my stash, so a win all the way around.  



No comments: