Sunday, January 24, 2016

Blue and Yellow wall hanging

 
This wall quilt, which I made last summer, was inspired by Van Gogh's Starry Night and based on a Pinterest picture which I've traced to Wonderlab Science Museum in Bloomington, Ind. but haven't been able to find any further information about it so far. I made the quilt for a new grandson's bedroom with a navy and yellow color scheme and an art theme loosely based on paintings by Picasso, Van Gogh, Modigliani.
 
First I raided my stash for appropriate colors to play with.
 
 
Then I enlarged the picture to about 22" x 22" and modified it a little.
 

 
 
Since all the pieces were curved, I decided to use freezer paper. I numbered and hash marked each piece on my master drawing, then traced it all on freezer paper. I ironed the paper to the wrong side of the pieces, cut with a quarter inch seam allowance,  pressed over the overlapping seam allowances and then glue basted the pieces together and removed the papers.
 
 
I worked in sections.
 

Once everything was glued in place, I machine stitched close to the edge of each piece. Then I layered the top with batting and backing, pin basted, and free motion quilted a swirly pattern all over.

 
Here it is with the quilting done. I finished it off with a navy binding but didn't get a picture of that.
 
 .

No comments: