Friday, March 20, 2015

My latest efforts


'Sunday Supper' ( Kim Diehl Simple Whatnots) is quilted, mostly in the ditch with a walking foot. The black binding seems to frame it nicely.

Quilt size 13 1/2"x16 1/2", block size 4"


Little Bites Tidbit No.3 (Miss Rosie's Quilt Co.) is also quilted in the ditch and bound. As I hoped, the straight line quilting in the border hides the seam where the extra fabric was added, and the striped binding, which shows up much better in real life, is just the right touch.

 Quilt size 18"x21", block size 3"


'Barn Stars' is from the 2nd Simple Whatnots series. It's quilted in the ditch and ready for binding.  I like that this quilt has light neutral stars on darker backgrounds. It's a nice contrast to another little quilt I did last fall that is the reverse with colored stars on neutral backgrounds.


Quilt size 20"x20", block size 4"
  

'And now for something completely different.'

I've had my eye on the Robbi Joy Eklow 'Groovy Guitars' wall hanging pattern for a couple years, and finally decided to make it using batiks from my stash. The pattern size is 35"x47". That was a little large for my purposes, so I reduced it to about 22"x25".

It was a challenge to work with the idea of 'transparency' where the guitars overlapped, especially using only fabrics that I had on hand.  I ended up cutting and trying several different colors for some of the pieces before finally finding what seemed to work the best. In spite of the 'extra' pieces, it was a fun process....and I don't think I wasted too much fabric.

All the applique pieces are fused to the background with fusible webbing and now need to be stitched down. I'm not sure whether to use a small zigzag or just a straight stitch close to the edge. I also have to add a narrow black border and then of course quilt it. That'll be a whole nother challenge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the guitar quilt!!

Anonymous said...

All beautiful but adore the guitar quilt

Anonymous said...

How big is the guitar quilt. Love yours